There’s no need to rehash the media and debate concerning the recently released series of Planned Parenthood videos that expose the appearance of impropriety within that organization, there’s no doubt you’re familiar with them. The left is outraged over what they say are heavily edited videos designed to intentionally mislead while the right is in an uproar over the content of the videos. As a result, a national debate over the defunding of Planned Parenthood has risen to the forefront of our culture wars … and it’s a debate that probably won’t be settled soon enough.
But there’s something that’s been nagging at me about these videos … and I want to take a second to put my concerns into words.
I am ashamed and sickened by the apathy of the Church when it comes to the value and sanctity of life. What bugs me the most about these videos is that they were necessary to catapult the debate over abortion to the front pages of our newspapers. Do you want to know why these videos have left such a big impression on us? It’s because the Church grew silent and cowardly in the face of abortion; so much so that the issue virtually disappeared from our national conscience. Nearly sixty million babies have been murdered since Roe v. Wade in 1973 and the Church has grown complacent about those deaths. As a result, it took a series of “gotcha” videos to remind us what a travesty abortion really is. For this, the videos have done us all a service, however, Christians (myself included) shouldn’t have needed the reminder:
- “God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them” (Genesis 1:27)
- “Truly children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward” (Psalm 127:3)
- “You knit me in my mother’s womb . . . nor was my frame unknown to you when I was made in secret” (Psalm 139:13,15)
- “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full” (John 10:10).
- “Thou shalt not kill” (Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17)
- “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you.”(Jeremiah 1:5)
Need I continue? God’s Word speaks to the very value of life yet Christians have stood by and allowed nearly sixty million abortions over the last 40+ years. Yet it took “gotcha” videos to upset us. We should be ashamed for our silence.
Abortion needs to be the number one issue on our conscience as we step into the voting booths. God’s Word concerning the value of human life needs to be on the tip of our tongues. We should be united in prayer until this desecration of life has come to an end.
And it shouldn’t take a “gotcha” video to remind us what a miraculous gift from God life truly is.