Whenever I think of powerful speaking voices my mind automatically flashes back to the voice of NFL Films, John Facenda. For twenty years Facenda narrated NFL films; he had a way of making every game seem larger than life and more important than it actually was. Even a young fan could sense the drama in Facenda’s baritone voice … Facenda is one of the reasons I am a diehard NFL fan. Certainly, his voiceovers illustrate the power of the spoken word. His work for NFL Films earned Facenda the moniker, “The Voice of God” – perhaps this is the most apt nickname ever given as it is God who possesses the most powerful speaking voice of all time.
Let us remember that God “spoke” the world into existence. From Genesis Chapter 1:
- 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
- 6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.
- 9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.”
- 11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.”
- 14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.”
- 20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.”
- 24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.”
- 26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
- 28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
- 29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.”
If you’re like me, it is hard to read those passages without hearing John Facenda’s voice speaking the words of God yet, in reality, God’s voice was far more amazing and awesome than any human could ever muster. It is even more amazing to contemplate Christ’s role in creation as the second part of the Trinity. The Gospel of John says that Christ was with God in the beginning and that He was God. It was through Christ that all things were created and that nothing was made without Him. It’s hard to understand, but when God the Father created the world it was through God the Son. Christ played an integral role in creation.
We spend so much time trying to explain the origins of life and of our world that we sometimes fail to be awed by the miracle of creation. We fail to recognize the power in God’s speaking voice.
Football fans celebrate John Facenda because he had the power to bring them to the edge of their seats. Mankind should celebrate and worship the God of the Bible because He has the power to speak worlds and life into existence!